The picture for this blog is when my brother and his family were in Santa Rosa last month.

The last few weeks have gone by real fast. Nicole had a baby shower last weekend and our apartment is stacked with lots of baby stuff. Dylan appears to have had another growth spurt. We can definitely feel his head and butt. And when we scratch his back, he seems to indicate he likes it by pushing towards our moving hand. The process has been amazing to watch.

On September 13th, I attended a funeral for uncle Guido. I hadn’t seen Guido in a few years, but growing up I spent a lot of time at his Petaluma house for holidays and family gatherings. I see very little of my family as my dad is living in Las Vegas and his parents have passed away. I don’t think that I ever met my mom’s father and I don’t think my mom talked with her mother a year to two before my mom passed away. Uncle Guido was on my mom’s side of the family and he was quite a character. He definitely lived up to the name of Guido. The service was in Petaluma and I was able to connect with some family I hadn’t seen in a very long time.

Work is increasing the development cycle as we are in the middle of some major releases while trying to bring up more sites. Last week had its share of late night coding sessions. I’ve come to the conclusion that this routine is not going to change.

Last Saturday I spent most of the day on the bike, riding the Auburn Century (the 137 mile route). I started at 6:30 AM (left Santa Rosa a little late) and spent most of the morning trying to catch the earlier starters. The ride consisted of lots of climbing but the roads were in excellent condition and there was little traffic. The ride maxed out at a little over 6500′ at the Robinson’s Flat turnaround which happens to be the first major aid station at Western States. The views from the Sugar Pine Reservoir to the top of Robinson’s Flat were spectacular. During the summer months you could ride a cross bike from Robinson’s onto Soda Springs on some fire roads (looks like a fun ride). I tested out my Garmin GPS for the ride and the battery lasted the entire ride. Here is a link to the GPS detail: The ride took just less than 10 hours, which is pretty embarrassing for 137 miles but again there was tons of climbing. I rode with Troy Soars up the climb to Robinson’s, and then rode with Tim Twietmeyer back to Auburn. Chatting with these two made the time pass quickly the last 60 miles.

Then it was back to the Auburn area this weekend for the Rio Del Lago 100 Mile Run. Nicole and I crewed for Julie for the first half of the 100 miles. I did a little running out in Cool for about an hour, then met Julie at mile 77 and paced her to the finish. During the afternoon, we had some free time so we drove a bit through Auburn and checked out our house. We had a great time crewing and experiencing a race from the other side and met some new friends. Julie finished 1st for the women and 4th overall. She is a very intense and determined runner. We finished before 2 AM this morning and she worked very hard the last 10 miles. No dilly dallying in the aid stations which is something I could learn. There are different types of motivators during any race or reaching any type of goal. Some people draw on anger, some on fear, some have to win, some hate to lose. Running with Julie it was intense fear. Running in the lead is not only physically hard but it can be mentally exhausting. How close is 2nd place? Am I losing or gaining ground? While running in 1st, it is difficult to find out how far you are ahead depending on the course, whereas in 2nd or 3rd you usually know exactly how far the person in front is running.

“When did the leave the aid station?”

“Oh, 10 minutes ago.”

You can usually be pretty informed when chasing. But when leading, you are sometimes running blind and scared. I had my cell phone and throughout the night I was calling trying to find out splits and how far ahead we were running. Julie kept asking me to call and check. 5 minutes later she wanted another update although there was no way her 1 hour lead had changed much in 5 minutes. She channelled this fear into a focus drive that drove her to the finish in 1st place. It was a remarkable experience.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s